Every week, that iconic song by the Mamas and the Papas plays in my head. Which, while it’s a softer tone, isn’t too much better than the saccharine Office Space voice saying, “Somebody’s got a case of the Mondays!” And then there’s the manic Monday, the rainy day Monday, the I-don’t-like Monday (tell me more!). Think Monday and you get doom, gloom, short tempers and wailing grievers, bemoaning the loss of those sacred seconds in Saturday and Sunday.
When was it that the world decided to hate Monday? How did Monday get the short end of the stick? What high school told Monday that it was the Least Likely to Succeed? What bus drove through a puddle and soaked Monday in front of all his coworkers? Well, I’m sick of seeing Monday eating lunch alone every day. It’s time to flip the script with this. Life is way too short to begin each week with resentment, immediately counting down to the end of it. I say no more to that!
Here are 5 ways you can make Monday more awesome:
- Start something new: have you been meaning to start a new book but just haven’t made the time? Maybe you want to go for a walk every afternoon, or cook more, or create a better cleaning schedule. Mondays have historically been seen as an auspicious day for good habits. It’s a clean start. Give it a try!
- Eat that frog: if you’re dreading a certain item on your To Do list, Monday is a great time to knock it out. You’ll get a kick of encouragement and motivation that will set you on a success streak for the rest of the week.
- Meditate: I love alliteration, and the gentle m’s of Monday put me in the mood for some mellowing out. Take 15 minutes out of your day, find a quiet space, and take long, deep breaths. Focus on the feeling of each inhalation (7 seconds) and exhalation (11 seconds). Clear your mind and refresh your core.
- Begin with the best: Monday is also a great day for assessing your morning ritual. Get a good breakfast, do a few stretches, fill up a water bottle. Leave your house a little early so you don’t have to worry about running to your desk. Load up your phone or iPod with some good music, books, or podcasts. Sit in your car and drink in the morning.
- Recognize Momentum or Management: There’s that glorious ‘m’ again! You don’t know how your Monday is going to go until it’s over. If it’s good, you can ride the momentum and let it supercharge the rest of your week. If it’s not, take a step back and try to figure out what you can manage. Did something happen that was outside of your control? Let it go. Did something occur that you can learn from? Make a note for the future. Stay in the moment rather than dwelling on what’s in the past. Tuesday is right around the corner! Just make sure Monday doesn’t feel ignored…
What do you do to work through the beginning of your week?
Watching: Sailor Moon Crystal — This is going way, way, way too slow for my taste. It actually really isn’t, but I just want to see Sailor Jupiter. I really love this new version. The animation, the transformations, the attacks. All of it. It’s awesome. And on Hulu.
Loving: True Blood — Yeah, this is kind of a “watching” too but what do you want from me? There’s only one episode left, and I’m actually really sad it’s come down to the end. What’s going to happen? How is all of this going to get resolved? I’ve also been rewatching the rest of the series. There was a great momentum in the first few seasons that I think faded off, especially in the season before the current one.
Reading: Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon — I feel like I’ve talked about this a lot recently. Anyway, I’m reading his first book because the second one was so good (Show Your Work).
Hearing: Violent Femmes (self titled) — Oldie but goodie. I was a bit late to this rodeo, but I don’t care. I come back to this album a lot. Lots of interesting energy. Unique but rock-y.
Doing: Taxidermy — Technically I’m not doing this right now (and I didn’t do what’s in the picture here, it’s by the Chiodo Brothers for Dinner for Schmucks), but I’ve been reading about it. As you may recall, I did this a while back, and I’d really like to do it again sometime soon.
It’s Monday. What are you doing?
Watching: Orange is the New Black — I’ve seen it all the way through Season 2 but now I’m watching it with the husband. What a great series. Fantastic characters, good story, it’s all awesome. Except Larry. But then, well, I think everyone feels that way. Even Jason Biggs.
Loving: Funko Pop Figures — “Your obsession with these things is getting out of hand,” I’ve been told. “Don’t you have too money of those?” I’ve also heard. No. No, no, no. I need more. Please and thank you. Next on my list is Groot. Also, if someone could hook me up with the bloody Hannibal from SDCC14, that would be great.
Reading: “Seconds” by Bryan Lee O’Malley — Y’all already know how I feel about Scott Pilgrim. Now, there’s a new, full length, COLOR (?!) comic out. So far, so good. And it’s another huge comic, on par with “Blankets.” I’m hearting it a lot.
Hearing: “Mandatory Fun” by Weird Al — I bought this album about a week ago and I cannot stop listening to it. It also has the first of his polka remixes that hasn’t made me want to be ill. I love it. Also, thank you, Weird Al, for creating a parody of that horrible song (which shall remain nameless) so now when I’m afraid it’s getting stuck in my head I just start singing YOUR words instead. And laugh.
Doing: Crochet — I am teaching myself crochet so I can do amigurumi and make adorable little somethings as gifts when I don’t feel like felting. I seem to have the chain stitch down, and that took longer than I thought. Next: single crochet! So much more excited than I should be!
It’s Monday. What are you doing?