While doing my normal early-day Twitter lurking, I came across this poll that’s happening over at Book Riot. Those tricky folks on that site asked for my top three, but I’m giving you guys two more. For funsies.
1. The Fellowship of the Ring: you’ll notice I didn’t say the all-encompassing Lord of the Rings. While I do love the trilogy, there is something about TFotR that is perfect. Just the right blend of whimsy, emotion, action. It’s a great movie. And no, the lack of Tom Bombadil wasn’t a deal-breaker for me. Sorry.
The movie that changed going to the beach forever.
2. The Last Unicorn: I know, broken record, but seriously, this is one of the best animated films ever made. You shan’t convince me otherwise.
Before James Spader got kind of creepy.
3. Secretary: this is one I like pulling out at dinner parties. Based on a short story from Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill, I can report that it is way, way better than the book. In fact, just watch the movie, don’t even bother looking for it. You will be very disappointed at the lack of…anything to it.
Kid super heroes – you just can’t go wrong.
4. Kick Ass: you didn’t think this wouldn’t include a comic adaptation, did you? There are some huge, huge differences between this gritty graphic novel and its, well, just-as-gritty movie adaptation, and I feel like in many cases, it makes the movie superior, if just because it’s not so damned depressing. Fantastic soundtrack, too.
5. Jurassic Park: I recently brought up to a friend of mine how excited I am about the next Jurassic Park movie coming out next summer. I have keen memories of being ten years old, curled up on the couch, watching anatomically-incorrect dinosaurs terrorize tourists. Nothing but love.
How about you? What are your favorite movies that sprang from books, for better or for worse?