Over the last seven days, I have been posting three things every day that are positive or have made me grateful. I am archiving them here for posterity
Day 1: 9/10/14
1. I have amazing wildlife around my house, including Hobo Von Whistlepig, the groundhog that has taken residence in the woodpile. Every day I feel like I get to see something happening around here, and it makes living here fun.
2. I really have my shit together. Sorry for the vulgarity there, but last night, I was sitting with Josh for dinner and discussing my timeline for writing projects I’m doing and real things that I’m making happen. I am thoughtfully, intentionally making my life better. It’s all starting to fit into place and that feels good.
3. I have a super clean tub. I am really proud of it.
Day 2: 9/11/14
1. I have gotten a lot better at dealing with my anxiety issues. I am much more capable and able to handle bad situations than I was even a few years ago.
2. My mouse, Sylvia, brings me a little joy every day. She is old and shaky but she is still happy to see me when I go over to see her.
3. Today, I got to sneak into my office building’s presentation center during my break. I did my morning stretches and walking circuits for ten minutes while the wind and rain blew outside and David Sedaris talked about French dentists on my phone. It was a very nice break.
Day 3: 9/12/14
1. It was blessedly cool today. I wore my big, black, comfy sweatshirt all day. It was marvelous.
2. My husband. He is a handsome devil, and we went clothes shopping together. It was much fun.
3. It feels good to have a local restaurant at which we are regulars. We aren’t strangers to the people at Empire Palace, and they always go out of their way to make us feel welcome (and missed, when it’s been a while).
Day 4: 9/13/14
1. Awesome friends I can hang out with for hours, talking shop and just enjoying everyone’s company.
2. My family. I feel like I could end this with ’nuff said’ but I don’t want to. Despite every way I’ve evolved as a person and everything I’ve done over the past seven years and everywhere I’ve *been*…my family has been supportive and enthusiastic about what I’m up to. That feels great.
3. Saturday evenings — the lull between the insane Friday feels and the Sunday angst — always feel perfect. Even when there are plans, or stuff to get done the next day, or whatever. There will still be that moment when you’re lying in bed going, “I still have another day.”
Day 5: 9/14/14
1. I got to read at an event today and it went awesomely. I had friends and husband there to support me, and it was a great experience.
2. The feeling of deep gratitude when you realize that your car has not been stolen but rather you went out the wrong exit of Macy’s at the mall.
3. Puppies. Big and small, furry and less so, cute and derpy. I heart them all.
Day 6: 9/15/14
1. Getting to teach someone something. I really enjoy training, and I know that’s rare. I just really, really enjoy a person being like, “I didn’t get it before and now I do!”
2. Performing several katas and realizing I remember all the steps. Like, driving around your hometown, or hearing a song from when you were younger. It’s just there.
3. Clean laundry. It’s a little thing, but when you have a mess going on in your head, it helps to go, “I have options for what I’m going to put on my body tomorrow.”
Day 7: 9/16/14
1. My health — I went to the doctor today and everything came up good. A few things to work on, but my doctor was so pleased he agreed that we could just start meeting once every 6 months. That is a big step for me, and I feel like that marks the item on my bucket list: “Have a clean bill of health.” Check.
2. Josh and I scored tickets to see The Book of Mormon on Sept 25. Yay!
3. Ice cream. Life is better – sweeter, tastier, more joyful – with the presence of ice cream. We made Bailey’s ice cream tonight, which is my most favorite ice cream of all. Because sometimes, when other people stop giving you the things you love, you just need to make it yourself.
What was positive about your day today?